Getting started with Medechat is easy and intuitive so we are confident you'll be up and running quickly. Follow our guides below to help you implement Medechat successfully so your vets and clients have a smooth experience.
Login now and start seeing the benefits of Medechat, and if you need any additional assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also download this Getting Started Guide.
There are 3 users of the Medechat platform, The Practice Manager, The Vet and The Pet Owner. Each user type will see a different part of Medechat that is relevant to them when they login. Both Vets and Pet Owners can only login after they have been sent an email invitation to join Medechat by the Practice Manager.
Your Practice Manager controls everything to do with your practice, your vets, appointment availablility, your pet owners and their pets. As well as setting up the practice profile, they will need to set up details for all of these before an invitation is sent to vets and owners to join Medechat.
Your Practice Manager will need to put aside some time to complete the set up before you get going. Getting the implementation right will ensure it runs smoothly for your vets and clients. There is a user guide attached for you to work through and there are some things you will need to decide beforehand.
You will need to enter all your practice details and also open a Stripe account online. Stripe is an online merchant facility that allows you to process payments safely. There are fees for this service which are 1.75% + .30c per transaction. You can set up Stripe to transfer funds to your bank account at a frequency that suits you.
Go to www.stripe.com/au to find out more about Stripe.
This is where you enter the types of appointments you will offer within Medechat. These are the things to think about beforehand.
There is a preset list of about 10 types of consultation. These are preset for reporting and benchmarking purposes. Please note that when setting consultation types, length and charges for an appointment that the pet owner is able to select the type of consultation to book. The type of consultation selected by the pet owner determines the fee charged at the completion of the video consultation. If the wrong type of consultation is chosen when a pet owner makes an appointment, the practice manager can change the appointment and contact the pet owner. Tip - Do not have too many different types of consultation options to choose from. For most practices a standard consultation, short post operative check and perhaps an after hours consultation would be ample to start.
Setting the length of an appointment is important because if a video consultation runs over the set time, the pet owner will be billed for a second consultation charge. This is deliberate to keep vets on track with their schedule and ensure pet owners respect the vet’s time and worth. Any refund of a second consultation charge will need to be manually made by the practice manager accessing the practice Stripe account. It is advised to allow an extra 5-10 minutes compared to a regular in-person consultation for the first 1-2 months of using Medechat. Once vets and pet owners are familiar with using telemedicine, the consultation times can be reduced.
When setting the price, keep in mind Medechat charges a flat rate commission of $5.95 for each video consultation (regardless of time length or charge to owner). So, don’t forget to add $6 to cover the commission to each consultation type charge. it is advised not to do any free of charge consultations even for post operative check ups. The practice is paying a monthly access fee for the platform and it is more convenient for the pet owner to have a consultation from home rather than the surgery. A suggested pricing point is 1/2 - 3/4 of an in-person consultation. In the COVID-19 environment, if there is no option for in-person consultations, consider same price video consultations.
The Practice Manager sets up the profile for each of it’s vets and then sends an email invitation to the vet to join Medechat. They will then have their own login to see their appointments.
The Practice Manager will need to set the available times for the vet as the default is unavailable. Times are available 24 hours. This can be set as recurring i.e. available for appointment bookings between 9am - 5pm. Appointments are then available for booking by registered pet owners and dependent on the length of the consultation type they choose.
When time allows, the Practice Manager can start on-boarding all existing clients/pet owners. Pet Owner details need to be entered and you can add an unlimited number of pets that they own. Once their account is set up, you can then send an email invitation for them to register with Medechat.
Your clients/pet owners can also register themselves by using the Login on your website. You will find your unique URL in the Practice Settings within Medechat which can be applied to one of our supplied buttons.
All owners are required to enter their credit card details into their account prior to booking an appointment. These are then stored for all future bookings. We recommend starting with owners with existing bookings or as they make new bookings through your practice. As clients make appointments, they could be triaged and diverted to Medechat if appropriate. An email invitation can be sent to them to register for Medechat.
You will find a suite of marketing assets to get started and help communicate your transition to using the Medechat platform to your clients.
Please let us know if you require anything additional and we will add this to the collection.
More items will become available to be downloaded. There are explainer videos for social media and assets available for promoting your use of Medechat to existing and new clients. We will keep you abreast of these via our email newsletters.
Your vets will have access to a User Guide through the platform. The User Guide and Video will contain all the information they need to get up and running with support from your Practice Manager.
You can also provide them with this link User Guides - Vets
1. Log in to their account
2. Enter their profile details if the Practice Manager hasn’t already done so
3. View the appointment calendar which will only show their appointments
4. View the appointment details
5. Enter and end the Appointment at the right time
6. Know the difference between the Vet notes and Client notes
7. How to close off the appointment when all details have be entered
We recommend that the Vet keeps an eye on the timer to know when to start bringing the consultation to an end so there are no issues with overlapping appointment times if they run long.
You can use them as is or use them as a base for your own communication. You can also download our 'Client Communications - Getting Started' Guide which will walk you through how to use all the Assets provided.
1. An email newsletter to your clients introducing them to the concept of Medechat, what it is for and the benefits to them of using it.
2. A link to the short Explainer Video for users
3. An explanation that slowly all clients will be added to Medechat and they will receive an email invitation to register and set-up a password.
4. Explaining the simple sign-up procedure
5. Once they have logged in to their account and set-up a password they can start using Medechat to book on-line appointments for video consults with their vet.
6. They will need to enter valid credit card details before an appointment can be booked and accepted.
7. There are also a range of emails, facebook posts and instagram images supplied in the assets that you can run to help your clients become familiar with Medechat.
8. There are also a range of buttons so you can choose the best one to apply to your website. Please let us know if you would like a specific size button or promotional banner and we will add it to the assets.
Your clients will have access to a User Guide through the platform. The User Guide and Video will contain all the information they need to get up and running with support from your Practice Manager.
You can also provide them with this link User Guides - Pet Owners
1. Accept your email invitation to join or Login to register from your website
2. Log in to their account and create a password
3. Enter their credit card details in the Payment Details
3. Look for available appointments
4. Book an appointment with their vet
5. Choose the correct consultation type
6. Join the video consultation at the appropriate time
7. Prepare for and manage their pet during the consultation
8. End the Appointment at the right time
There is also a FAQs and Help section for them to assist with any queries the might have.